Mission Accomplished

Mittwoch, 27th:
Thus began my Week of Lasts... 
We did Studies and "finding", but it's in quotes because we were so wasted from Tuesday that we could barely walk and barely muster the energy to actually talk to anyone. 

Donnerstag, 28th:
We met with Frank and taught him the Restoration. It got interrupted because our once-an-hour train came a little earlier than expected. But it went well otherwise. :) 
When we got on the train, the Elders were already there and we traveled together to the Familie Warncke to decorate their apartment for Christmas! It was wonderful. They cranked up their favorite Christmas tunes (in English, and all the romantic ones, oops), and we got to work. We decorated their tree and put up garlands and other little decorations. Then at the end, they gave us tea and Stollen and Baumkuchen. It was a wonderful appointment, and so much fun. It got me humming Christmas songs all week. 🎄
On the way back from the appointment our train was 25 minutes delayed #deutschebahn. And when it finally came it smelled like Berlin (in other words, stale pee). Elder Bast had to pretend to be offended when I told him that, but he didn't deny it. 
We went to the Lucas Family for Thanksgiving. Because of our train delay, we ended up being late and because they had other guests they had already started eating, which was fine by me. For dessert, we had a wide array of pies. She even tried to make an Innkeeper's pie, but it didn't quite turn out right... She said she'd probably never make it again, hahaha. But she also had a pecan pie, and that's the first one I've ever tried and it was GOOD. We shared a spiritual thought about gratitude, and then left to Tausch. 
We Tausched and Sister Rimmer came back to Wyhlen with me. On the way home I called my family for Thanksgiving! It was fun to see their smiling faces, and weird to tell them that I'd see them next week. 

Freitag, 29th:
Sister Rimmer and I went to an appointment in Reinach (normally we would've just worked in Basel, but because she's going home she wanted to go to this appointment for the last time, and I got the bonus of coming along) with the legend Tadashi. The mom, Ronja, taught us how to make Spaetzle. So if I get ahold of a good pan, I can treat you all! 
On the way back to Wyhlen, we got stuck behind a Demonstration, so because we couldn't get to the bus we decided to just get Frojo. 
Once we got to Germany, we sent off a couple of Packages including one with all of my books. Hopefully it lasts, because that puppy was HEAVY. 
Then we Untausched in the evening. 

Samstag, 30th:
We woke up and one of us anxiously anticipated the first order of the day: Transfer Calls. It was so weird being so calm and knowing exactly what was going to happen. I missed the excitement of wondering where I would be going and who I would be with, but it was fun to live that through Sister Smith. And the results were.... She will be getting Sister Costa (no idea who that is) and they're going to be STL's! I'm so proud of her! She's going to have so much fun and I lowkey wish I was going to be here to be a part of it. As for me, well, we all know what my future holds. ;) 
We spontaneously went to Fabiola's house because when she heard that I was leaving she invited us to brunch. While eating, we talked to her son and set a baptismal date with him! He's about to turn 9, so we're fitting him in right before Christmas! We're so excited for Mateo 😁
Then we had an Ausstellung! 

Sonntag, 1st:
It was my last Fast Sunday, and I gave my farewell testimony in church. So many members came up to me afterwards to say goodbye. I managed to not cry until Véronique hugged me; we both squeezed the tears out of each other. Sometimes I'm not sure how much I actually helped a ward until I'm leaving and all my favorite people come up to me telling me they can't imagine church without me there to smile at them and greet them with a hug. A little girl even came up to me and gave me a little shrinky dink of a Book of Mormon. This Sunday was one of the biggest paydays of my mission, and I just felt God's approval and Him smiling down at me. I did good, and I did well. I'm going to miss these people. 
I started to feel sick partway through the day, so Elder Bast gave me a recipe for Zwiebelsaft, which was apparently supposed to cure me if I drank a spoonful every night. It's done nothing so far and I told him I thought it was a Prank but he told me that it can't help me if I keep not wearing my scarf and forgetting a hat. So it appears we're at an impass and I'm still sick. 

Montag, 2nd:
We had Distrikt meeting, and wow was it a party. The Distrikt threw a funeral for Sister Rimmer and me, and it was so much fun! They decorated the room we always meet in to be the "Chastity Room" (they had set up like a whole package of the Law of Chastity pamphlets everywhere, and then they hung German-colored ribbons from the ceiling). They showed us slideshows from the mission and the Elders debuted a film they had made for us. It was honestly incredible. The amount of effort they put into this made me feel so loved and I just wanted to hug each of them. We made Spaetzle together for lunch, and then we (and the Elders) had to run to our next appointment. 
We went to Schwester Caminada, and I'm so glad that I got to see her again before I went home. She brought out her fancy dishes for us (the Elders were confused why and I told them it was because of me, and they said "Yes, we're sure that it's because of you. Maybe try being humble." but later in the appointment, she specifically said it was because of me, and the Elders just nodded in acknowledgement at me and I felt so satisfied). She had made us a Roast and Rotkohl and an amazing Salad with the most amazing tomatoes I've ever tasted. It was hilarious though, because Sister Smith doesn't like meat, so she was trying to hold up her napkin to sneak her meat onto Elder Bast's plate, but it was a little obvious, so Elder Bast asked for some pepper, so while Schwester Caminada had her back turned, he grabbed the pile of meat with his BARE HAND and moved it onto his own plate. I died, and had to hide my laughter behind my Apfelschorle. I also got blocked into the kitchen at one point so I just started doing dishes, and Schwester Caminada didn't notice until Elder Bast said something. So then we all did dishes together and the Elders took silly pictures in the other room and I teased them about it. Then we gave an awesome spiritual thought about always turning to God for help. It was one of my favorite appointments I've ever been to. ❤

Dienstag, 3rd:
Today we got up and worked on Tschüß books, went grocery shopping, and crashed the Ausstellung the other missionaries were having. Once they ended their hours, we had a Distrikt Photoshoot and I honestly had a blast with that. Elder Bast lectured me for not wearing a scarf when I'm sick, but I honestly just straight up forgot it today - it's not like I intentionally left it behind like normal. Then we wandered around a couple of Christmas markets and I can honestly say that the markets in Austria are better than the ones here in Basel (I was going to say Switzerland, but I only have this one experience). But it was still fun, and has gotten me a little more in the Christmas mood. Now we're eating at the Frojo place for the last time, and then we're probably going to finish off with a tiny bit more Christmas market and saying goodbye to Véronique.
This evening we have an appointment with the Familie Egen, and then it's just packing packing packing into the late night. 

Mittwoch, 4th:
In the morning we're going to meet in Basel SBB and Vivianne said she'd come early to say goodbye. The farewell to the other missionaries is probably going to be the hardest part of going home. 
I'll be heading to München, where I hear it's an absolute party. I've heard that I apparently have to travel outside of the mission to get to München most effectively, so that'll be a fun way to end things. I'll have my final interview with Präsident Brown, and stay overnight in the mission home. 🎉

Donnerstag, 5th:
A long day of traveling through Munich, then Atlanta, and finally ending with a happy reunion in the Salt Lake Airport in the late evening/early night. Otherwise known as, what Mom is looking forward to the most. 😘

Freitag, 6th:
A family day! 
I'll be released in the evening. :) 

Samstag, 7th:
I get my haircut. ;) 
A friends day! 

Sonntag, 8th:
My Homecoming talk. It's at 9 am at my church building - write my Mother if you want the address. :) 
After that, I'm officially back to normal life.

Favorite new word: Esp, matrimonio - marriage / Deu, knütschen - to make out / Schwyzer Deutsch (pretty sure it's actually specifically Basler Deutsch), Drämmli - Tram
Favorite funny story: Elder Bast and the meat 😂
Favorite spiritual thought: This week I've just been sharing Alma 37:36-37 at every opportunity. This scripture has been one of my favorites for a lot of my life, and for some reason has been particularly prominent to me the last little bit. What does it speak to YOUR heart? 

See you soon! 😉
(Sister) Kirsten Hamilton

Pics:
President and Sister Brown
Warnckes Decorating
Spaetzle Funeral
The Hike, at the top
Our last Frojo



Comments

Popular Posts