My Bois are Back

Mittwoch, 26th:
So the Neubekehrt in our ward, Véronique, had 2 coupons for like a... nutritional counseling? kind of a thing, and because Sister Akre has literal orders to be healthier and I'm hopping on that band wagon, we went. The lady used like this electric current thing and whatnot to even figure out how exactly our body is set up and whatnot, which was kind of weird, but I mean I don't understand that kind of science, haha. But yeah, we figured out pretty quickly that all she wanted to do was sell us stuff and that she actually had no idea what she was talking about and it was all a scam. Sister Akre and I were both pretty ticked off at her by the end of it, but we managed to keep our frustration somewhat hidden. Véronique had come with us and ended up buying us a protein-powder thing for us to try (because my goodness, it's crazy expensive and we would never be able to afford it). But she's so sold on it, so we agreed to try it (not knowing she was going to buy it for us - we thought she was just going to give us a couple scoops of stuff she already had). So we decided we're going to try it a couple times so she doesn't feel bad, and then we're going to give the rest back to her. And even though it was a total scam (literally, Sister Akre has been comparing the drink we got to every protein drink she comes across, and the ones in the grocery store are infinitely better than the one we have), we still did get some useful nutrition information from the charts that the lady had to read off of (I know how much protein I should be eating every day!), so it wasn't a complete waste of time. But I came away from that with more confidence in Sister Akre's nutritional skills than I already had. I'm so grateful for her!

Donnerstag, 27th:
We met with a friend of ours, Reetu. She was sweet and bought us ice cream. 😁
We went Finding. 
Sister Akre has orders from the mission nurse to buy a sun hat, so because it was really hot and sunny and she was lowkey dying, we did a quick hunt for a hat. Unfortunately, she didn't like any of them, so instead we ended up asking Patrick to order a cheap one for her from Amazon. 

Freitag, 28th:
We met with another friend of ours, Lucienne. She was wonderful, and played the piano while we sang, showed us a painting she was working on, and gave us melon-flavored water. Next time we meet with her we're going to try and bring the Elders so they can give her a blessing. 
We tried to register me, but they changed a rule and I needed an extra paper that I didn't know about. So I'm still just a tourist here. 
We met with Jennika, a member, because she's an awesome member missionary and had talked to someone on a train who wanted a Book of Mormon. Unfortunately, he never responded so we weren't able to meet up with him, but we had a good talk with her. 

Samstag, 29th:
We played basketball at Sport and one of our friends came! It was the first time Sister Akre met her in person after texting for almost 6 months. 
We went to Eutacia again and she died Sister Akre's eyebrows. They look FIRE. 
We went to Lörrach for finding, since it's in our area and more specifically actually in Germany, and we needed to buy a couple of ingredients for a cake we were going to bake on Sunday. 
We made Cinnamon rolls when we got home to thank Patrick for all he's been doing for us. 
We had also eaten sugar and carbs for the first time in a week and we felt sooooo sick. It made us never want to eat sugar again. And then we promptly ate sugar every day since then. But starting tonight we'll be better! 

Sonntag, 30th:
I played the piano at church, and then the 2nd hour was canceled due to heat and our bishop not being able to connect his PowerPoint to the projector, so he had no class to teach us. 
We decided last minute we were going to sing a Musical number at zone conference, so we roped in the Elders and Sister Grundvig to sing with us, so we practiced this day. 
We made a strawberry cake and a super sweet present (a map with notes from several missionaries and a message that said "Be it Argentina, Canada, Germany, Scotland, or anywhere else - no matter where you go in the world, you'll always have someone who loves you!"). We brought it to the birthday girl herself, Sister Frome! And she was kind enough to let us taste her cake with her. 

Montag, 1st:
Happy Canada day! (very important considering I have a Canadian companion) 
Okay, literally the highlight of the week: My Boi Elder PORTER! We were on our way to zone conference, and I saw him about to the cross the street, so I flashed a (Christ like) hand-heart at him, and he saw, flipped out a little, turned around, and started running in my direction. I ran too, and it was like the most stereotypical running-at-each-other-through-a-field-of-flowers-in-slow-motion scene I've ever lived. We dodged civilians, other missionaries, and light poles to get to each other. And when we finally did...! We gave each other a firm hand shake. Man, we were both so stoked. 1 transfer was 1 too many being away from this precious angel of a soul. I literally cannot even describe my love for him, and he made my day, my week, and my whole transfer! (and yes, I promise this is an appropriate love - he truly is like my own child) 
We had Zone Conference in Zürich, which was phenomenal as per usual. I loved seeing everyone, and it was nice to be able to see Sister Meisenfelder again. I also saw Elder Hema again, so he and Elder Porter and I took a picture together and did the famed Linz-Distrikt handshake. I don't think I stopped smiling for a single second of that day. It was just so PERFECT. 
We sang "A Child's Prayer/Gebet eines Kindes" for the Musical number, and from what I've heard we did a good job. :) 
It was Sister Frome's actual Birthday, so we all sang to her during lunch. And when we got back to Basel after the conference, we had a Distrikt-dinner at McDonald's to celebrate. She felt very loved, which was our goal! 

Dienstag, 2nd:
Temple day! Sister Akre and I woke up early so we could make an earlier session because we wanted to spend more time in the Celestial Room. It was so wonderful, and at one point I was the ONLY PERSON in there for a few minutes (my comp went to the bathroom, haha). I think that's the most peaceful I've felt ever before. Also, the session was in French, so I got headphones for translation, and I may or may not have listened to it in German. I was surprised that I understood about 95% of what was said (there were just a few words I've never heard before.).
I got to see so many good friends, and it was wonderful to be able to spend the day with them (albeit accidentally). 💕
We also went to Eutacia, expecting it to be a member appointment, and it turns out she gave Sister Akre a facial. But, hey, I got to eat a peach and talk to my mom, so it was very worth it. 😊

Favorite new word: Rappen - Swiss Penny (so 1/100th of a Swiss Frank), Rotzig - snotty, Denkanstoß - food for thought, Wohlwollend - benevolent/gracious
Favorite funny story: On Thursday while looking for a sun hat for Sister Akre, we had her put on a fancy-looking ring at the store and we sent a picture to the Elders and said, "Guess what a Friend just gave her!" They went a solid couple hours thinking she had actually been proposed to. We found it hilarious.
Favorite spiritual thought: I love Doctrine & Covenants 121:7-9. Honestly, these scriptures bring the most comfort to me out of almost any other scriptures. I was reminded of it at Zone Conference yesterday. And honestly, looking at it again it can also be viewed as a mission, ahaha. But seriously, they're so good. And, as I've felt has been emphasized the past little bit by various people around me, try applying yourself into it! So for example, with the first line: "My daughter Kirsten, peace be unto thy soul..." or finding the principle with the next bit: "my adversity and my afflictions shall be but a small moment, and if I endure it well, God will exalt me on high, and I shall triumph over all my foes." Isn't that cool? It makes it so personal! I recommend you do it with other scriptures of your own choice!

TLDR: This week we kind of ran everywhere and barely had enough time to breathe. But it's good, and I loved being reunited with some wonderful people that I love. ❤

Much love to everyone,
Sister Hamilton

P.S. This email is coming late because I had permission from our Assistant to move our P-day hours for the appointment with Eutacia so that we would have time to buy groceries. So. No judgement, because technically this is kosher. ;)

Pics: 
My Bois 💕
The temple

Comments

Popular Posts